World heritage sites in Ukraine A future Historians view
1. World heritage sites in Ukraine A future Historians viewWORLD HERITAGE SITES IN
A FUTURE HISTORIANS VIEW
2. World HeritageWORLD HERITAGE
World Heritage - outstanding cultural and natural
values, which are considered the property of all
mankind. These values are listed in the List of
UNESCO. List of UNESCO World Heritage sites in
Ukraine as of 2015 has 7 items.
5 geographic regions defined by
Europe and North America
Asia and Oceania
Latin America and the Caribbean
Kiev Pechersk Lavra
Descent of the
Struve Geodetic Arc
Residence of Bukovinian
Ancient City of Tauric Chersonese and its Chora
5. Saint Sophia's Cathedral, KievSAINT SOPHIA'S CATHEDRAL, KIEV
• Saint Sophia's Cathedral - Christian Cathedral in the
center of Kyiv, Ukrainian monument of architecture,
one of the few surviving buildings of Kievan Rus. This
is the historical center of Kiev Metropolis.
6. Saint Sophia's CathedralSAINT SOPHIA'S CATHEDRAL
7. Kiev Pechersk LavraKIEV PECHERSK LAVRA
• Kiev Pechersk Lavra also known as the Kiev
Monastery of the Caves, is a historic Orthodox
Christian monastery which gave its name to one of
the city districts where it is located in Kiev.
8. Kiev Pechersk LavraKIEV PECHERSK LAVRA
9. Lviv Old TownLVIV OLD TOWN
• Lviv Old Town is the historic centre of the city of Lviv,
within the Lviv Oblast (province) in Ukraine,
recognized as the State Historic-Architectural
Sanctuary in 1975.
• Lviv is an outstanding example of the fusion of the
architectural and artistic traditions of eastern
Europe with those of Italy and Germany.
A street in the Old Town of Lviv
The complex of the Dormition Church is
dominated by the 400-year-old
11. Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian MetropolitansRESIDENCE OF BUKOVINIAN AND
• The Residence of Bukovinian and
Dalmatian Metropolitans in Chernivtsi,
Ukraine was built between the years 1864 - 1882 to
the designs of the Czech architect, Josef Hlávka.
The Residence, whose buildings are now part of
Chernivtsi University, was declared a UNESCO World
Heritage Site in 2011.
13. Struve Geodetic ArcSTRUVE GEODETIC ARC
• The Struve Geodetic Arc is a chain of survey
triangulations stretching from Hammerfest in Norway
to the Black Sea.
• Measurement of the triangulation chain comprises
258 main triangles and 265 geodetic vertices. The
northernmost point is located near Hammerfest in
Norway and the southernmost point near the Black
Sea in Ukraine. This inscription is located in ten
countries, the most of any UNESCO World Heritage
red points identify the World Heritage
Tartu Old Observatory, the first point of
15. Ancient City of Tauric Chersonese and its ChoraANCIENT CITY OF TAURIC
CHERSONESE AND ITS CHORA
• Chersonesus in medieval Greek contracted to
Cherson is an ancient Greek colony founded
approximately 2,500 years ago in the southwestern
part of the Crimean Peninsula. The colony was
established in the 6th century BC by settlers from
• The ancient city is located on the shore of the Black
Sea at the outskirts of Sevastopol on the Crimean
Peninsula, where it is referred to as Khersones.