Information and communication technologies
1. Information and communications technologyINFORMATION AND
an extended term for information technology (IT) which
stresses the role of unified communications and the
integration of telecommunications (telephone lines and
wireless signals), computers as well as
necessary enterprise software, middleware, storage, and
audio-visual systems, which enable users to access, store,
transmit, and manipulate information.
3. 3 MAIN ADVANTAGES OF ICT TOOLS FOR EDUCATION• 1‧
THROUGH ICT, IMAGES CAN EASILY BE USED IN TEACHING AND IMPROVING THE RETENTIVE
MEMORY OF STUDENTS.
THROUGH ICT, TEACHERS CAN EASILY EXPLAIN COMPLEX INSTRUCTIONS AND ENSURE
THROUGH ICT, TEACHERS ARE ABLE TO CREATE INTERACTIVE CLASSES AND MAKE THE
LESSONS MORE ENJOYABLE, WHICH COULD IMPROVE STUDENT ATTENDANCE AND CONCENTRATION.
• IDENTIFY AND JUSTIFY THE BASIC SET OF COMPETENCIES AND SUB-COMPETENCIES OF THE
'TEACHER-TRAINING MODEL'. DEFINE THE PLACE AND ROLE OF THE INTERCULTURAL COMPETENCY
IN THE MFL TEACHING PROFESSION (INCLUDE A STRUCTURED TEACHER COMPETENCY MODEL).
4. 3 MAIN DISADVANTAGES OF ICT TOOLS FOR EDUCATION• 1‧
SETTING UP THE DEVICES CAN BE VERY TROUBLESOME.
TOO EXPENSIVE TO AFFORD
HARD FOR TEACHERS TO USE WITH A LACK OF EXPERIENCE USING ICT TOOLS
lead to improved student learning and better
teaching methods. A report made by the
National Institute of Multimedia Education
in Japan, proved that an increase in student
exposure to educational ICT through
curriculum integration has a significant and
positive impact on student achievement,
especially in terms of "Knowledge・
Comprehension" · "Practical skill" and
"Presentation skill" in subject areas such as
mathematics, science, and social study.
capable and creative teachers to improve teaching and learning situations. Lim and Tay (2003) classification of ICT
tools as :
1) Informative tools - Internet, Network Virtual Drive, Intranet systems, Homepage, etc.
2) resignation devices - CD-ROM, etc.
3) Constructive tools - MS Word, PowerPoint, FrontPage, Adobe Photoshop, Lego Mindstorm, etc.
4) Communicative tools - e-mail, SMS, etc.
5) Collaborative tools - discussion boards, etc. forum
The five categories of ICT tools listed above are discussed in more detail under the following headings.
Informative tools are applications that provide large amounts of information in various formats such as text,
graphics, sound, or video. Informative tools can be regarded as a passive repository of information (Chen & Hsu,
7. THE COMMONEST TYPES OF ICTs USED IN EDUCATION ICTs stand for information and communication technologies and are defined, forTHE COMMONEST TYPES OF ICTS USED IN EDUCATION
ICTS STAND FOR INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES AND
ARE DEFINED, FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS PRIMER, AS A “DIVERSE SET OF
TECHNOLOGICAL TOOLS AND RESOURCES USED TO COMMUNICATE, AND TO
CREATE, DISSEMINATE, STORE, AND MANAGE INFORMATION.” THESE
TECHNOLOGIES INCLUDE: :
• THE INTERNET
• BROADCASTING TECHNOLOGIES (RADIO AND TELEVISION)