Категория: Английский язык
The Present Continuous Tense
1. The Present Continuous TenseUse and form
2. What is she doing?• She is reading a book.
3. What is she doing?• She is crying.
4. What’s he doing?• He’s watching TV.
5. Where’s he going?• He’s going to school.
6. And what are you doing right now?• We are studying English grammar.
7. Use 1• The previous examples show that we use
this tense to denote an action happening
at the time of speaking (adverbs: now,
right now, at the moment)
8. What are they wearing today?• They are wearing T-shirts and mini
9. I’d love to see you. Are you busy?• Unfortunately, I’m rather busy. I’m
painting my flat this week.
10. Are you having fun this summer?• Not really. I’m working as a waiter. I
need some money for college.
11. Use 2• These examples show that the Present
Continuous Tense is also used to denote
a temporary action happening today or
12. What’s wrong with our planet?• It’s getting warmer.
13. What’ wrong with the air we breathe?• It’s becoming more and more polluted.
14. Use 3• It is also used to express the ongoing
changes, especially with verbs such as
become, get, grow, change, and with
expressions like more and more.
17. Use 4• We use it for future arrangements with
a time reference.
18. Form – am, are, is + ing formam, are,
Form – am,
is ++ ing
I am sleeping.
He/she/it is sleeping.
You/we/they are sleeping.
I am not (I’m not) singing.
He/she/it is not (isn’t) singing.
You/we/they are not (aren’t) singing.
19. Form - continued• Interrogative
Am I dreaming?
Is he/she/it dreaming?
Are you/we/they dreaming?
• Short answers
Yes, I am/he is/we are…
No, I’m not/he isn’t/we aren’t…
20. ing form – spelling rules• Most verbs just take –ing with no
changes in spelling: watch-watching,
• Verbs ending in –e drop it before –ing:
• Verbs with short vowels and one
consonant double the consonant:
21. ing form – spelling rules• Verbs ending in –l, double it: traveltravelling, cancel-cancelling
• Verbs ending in –ie change it to –y: lielying, die-dying