Terrorism in international relations
1. Terrorism in international relationsTERRORISM IN INTERNATIONAL
by Kochetova Ekaterina
2. What is terrorism?WHAT IS TERRORISM?
Terrorism is the systematic use of terror. Common
definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts
which are intended to create fear.
3. Types of terrorismTYPES OF TERRORISM
-Limited political terrorism
-Official or state terrorism
4. Motivation of terroristsMOTIVATION OF TERRORISTS
- To intimidate people from cooperating with the state
- To incite counter-terrorism by the state to polarise the
- To gain attention
- Secession of a territory to form a new sovereign state
- Dominance of territory or resources
- Imposition of a particular form of government
- Economic deprivation of a population
- Opposition to a domestic government
- Religious fanaticism
6. How states response to terrorism?HOW STATES RESPONSE TO TERRORISM?
- Targeted laws, criminal procedures
- Target hardening
- Preemptive or reactive military action
- Increased intelligence and surveillance activities
- Preemptive humanitarian activities
- More permissive interrogation and
- it is really difficult to fight terrorism;
- motivation of terrorists is always different and hard to
- one must first of all deal with the roots of terrorism.