Категория: Английский язык
Application of basic ways of studying vocabulary on English lessons
Nowadays English is an international
language. For this reason, students need to
develop Vocabulary to learn English
To show several
ways that can be
used for teaching
To demonstrate the
reason of teaching
young learners in
the process of
the usage of
5. Teaching vocabularyWhat is vocabulary?
Vocabulary can be defined as the words we teach in the foreign language.
Vocabulary is the glue that holds stories, ideas and content together making
What needs to be taught?
Meaning. Form: pronunciation and spelling.
6. How to teach vocabularyStep 1: Provide a description, explanation or example of the new
Step 2: Ask students the description, explanation or example in their
Step 3: Ask students to construct a picture, symbol, or graphic
representing the term or phrase.
Step 4: Engage students periodically in activities that help them add
to their knowledge of the terms in their notebooks.
Step 5: Periodically ask student to discuss the term with a partner
Step 6: Involve students periodically in games that allow them to
play with terms.
7. Steps in teaching a new word• Pronounce the word 2 or 3 times while the pupils listen.
• Show the meaning of a word by using suitable technique.
• Have the pupils repeat the word after the teacher (in chorus ,
groups and individually)
• Write the word on the board and pupils read and copy it.
• Ask questions for comprehension.
• Encourage pupils to use the word themselves.
- The teacher says the word - The teacher chooses one
and spell it.
techniques to present the
meaning of the new word.
- The teacher asks the
pupils to put this word in a
-The pupils repeat .
For example :
( This is a bus)
For example :
(flash cards, drawings…)
9. СonclusionPractical part was realized as an experiment in the classroom. I
presented the same target language for two groups of students, using
different approach for each.
Phenomena proved during the practical part could be summed up in
- grammar-translation students tend to use rather narrow range of
language with problems to integrate it within context
- conscious learning of rules does not lead to language acquisition
- communicative approach prepares students for real communication,
students are not anxious about experiments with language and they are
able to respond the context well.