Medical Education in the United States
1. Independent WorkTheme: My working day
Done by: Embergenov N. S
Checked by: Kosbatyrova N. B
Faculty: General Medicine
2. Medical Education in the United States
3. Plan:1. Medical school
4. Medical schoolA Medical school in the United States is a four-year graduate institution.
It’s purpose is educating physicians in the field of medicine. Such schools provide a
major part of the medical education in the United States. Graduates receive either
a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) degree.
Admissions criteria are grade point averages, Test scores, letters of recommendation,
The first two years students have basic science courses, such as anatomy,
biochemistry,histology,microbiology, pharmacology, physiology, cardiology, pulmonol
ogy, gastroenterology, endocrinology, psychiatry, neurology, etc. The third and fourth
years consist of clinical rotations, where students attend hospitals and clinics.
5. InternshipMedical intern is a physician in training who has completed medical
school and has a medical degree, but does not yet have a full license to
practice medicine unsupervised.
During the last year of graduate medical education, students apply for
Internship in their chosen field of specialization. Vary in competitiveness depending
upon the desirability of the specialty, prestige of the program, and the number of
applicants relative to the number of available positions.
Some residency training programs, such as in neurology and ophthalmology,
do not include an internship year and begin after completion of an internship or
6. Residencyis a stage of graduate medical training. A resident or house
officer is a physician, who practices medicine usually in a hospital or clinic.
in anesthesiology, ophthalmology, dermatology, emergency medicine, family
surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, radiology, radiation oncology,
Neurology, neurosurgery, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, surgery, or other specialties.
7. TEST1. How many years of studying in a Medical school in the
a. 4 b. 5 c. 6
2. Which training program is not included in Internship?
a. gynecology b. surgery c. neurology
3. In which courses students attend hospitals and clinics?
a. first and second b. third and fourth c. fives and sixth